Real Estate Photography Pre-Home Checklist
This list should help you prepare the property for the shoot and bring your listing out from the crowd:
- Move vehicles from driveway and away from the front of home.
- Place trash cans, and anything that is not attached to the home, in the garage or out of sight.
- Cut grass, and remove all weeds from cracks in concrete.
- Remove garden hoses from the yard
- Pressure wash driveways and sidewalks
- Clean windows and mirrors.
- Remove the yard sign.
- When possible, water the grass 4-5 hours prior to shooting- Even a brown lawn will look better.
- Remove any Calendars. – Calendars make a listing dated if it goes over 30 days.
- Clear all counter tops. – No scrubbies, soap, knives or cutting boards.
- Okay to leave 1-2 small appliances for size perception, but more than that can be distracting.
- Clear the refrigerator completely. – No magnets, pictures, lists etc…
- Clean shiny appliances very well – Dirty appliances will look smudged with flash cameras.
- Remove trashcan from Kitchen.
- Open all drapes and blinds on windows with a good view. – An exception would be baths and some bedrooms.
- For security, remove any expensive artwork and firearms from view. Even if they are decorative.
- Move/Remove any furniture that obstructs windows.
- Turn all ceiling fans OFF. They will create a motion blur in your photo and even video.
- Turn all inside lights ON. This will help balance the light in most areas.
- Turn all Televisions OFF, and clean them very well.
- Make beds and close closets. If you showcase a closet, do so separately if possible.
- Open doors between rooms to give an open feeling when possible.
- Remove ALL evidence of pets.
- Remove rugs from floors, especially from tile or wood floors.
- Conceal cords! Unplug them from the wall if needed. (Except lights)
- Replace any burnt out light bulbs.
- No shoes by doors or anywhere… Please place them in the closet.
- Toilet lids should be down.
- Clear the counter-top from absolutely every item considered to be personal.
- Remove cleaning brushes and trashcans.
- Clean mirrors and shower enclosures.
- Close Shower curtains. If custom tiled bath, showcase with shower curtain half-open.
- Remove toilet paper from holder, or use a full roll. No partial rolls please.
There are many other items to consider when preparing a home for Real Estate Photography, however by just following the above guidelines, your listing should stand out from the crowd. You only get one chance to make a first impression.